Friends & Family Resources
If your loved one is ready to make a change in their lives, make a referral to let us know.
A Workit care navigator will follow up by reaching out directly to your loved one with the contact information you provide.
Workit Health has created a guide to addiction and treatment for the loved ones of those struggling with substance use disorder.
It’s normal to have questions and fears, but you’re not alone in this. We have answers!
It can be baffling to watch a loved one struggle with substance use. “Why don’t they just stop?” you ask. But for people with substance use disorder, it’s not that easy.
Addiction is a chronic disease characterized by the following features:
- Compulsive substance use that is difficult to control despite harmful consequences
- Changes within a person’s brain, overriding their self-control, judgment, decision-making, and ability to resist urges to drink or use drugs
- Growing tolerance for the substance, meaning someone may have to take more than they previously did to achieve the same effect
- Progressive—it will get worse if left untreated
- High incidence of relapse (returning to use) after quitting
Substance use disorder can be frightening, but it is a treatable condition. It is a myth that someone needs to reach rock bottom to obtain help; they can get help at any time they are ready for it.
Support options for friends and families
There are a range of support groups for family, friends, and partners of loved ones struggling with addiction. You are not alone.
is a 12-step-based support group for anyone impacted by addiction.
SMART Friends & Family →
is an alternative to 12-step programs that provides effective and easy-to-learn tools to help you and your family.
Learn to Cope →
is a peer support network for friends and family members of those with substance use disorders.
Parents of Addicted Loved Ones →
is a Christian organization that provides education and support to parents.
Adult Children of Alcoholics →
is a 12-step group for the adult children of those struggling with addiction.
Want Workit to reach out to your loved one?