Halloween is a great reason to get wasted. Or is it?
Here are all the things I don’t miss about drinking on Halloween:
1. Starting out the evening with costume perfected, but ending the night with my wig and shoes off.
What was I supposed to be again? After one too many, my costume would be thrashed and my makeup smeared. Not to mention losing stuff! I’d drink too much and lose my purse, my phone, my car…
2. Avoiding DUI checkpoints like they’re a zombie outbreak.
When I’m not drinking or using, there’s nothing to fear.
3. Losing control of my pre-game, and getting too wasted to make it to the party/haunted house/seance I was planning on attending.
If I’m sober, I can go where I want, when I want. I don’t get so drunk or high I’m stuck at home, for yet another night.
4. Dodging trick-or-treaters in an inebriated state.
Sober driving is much less risky than intoxicated driving.
5. Dropping $12 for a drink I won’t remember tossing back tomorrow.
If I choose to go clubbing sober, I’ll save a bundle. Whether I dance it up without drugs or alcohol, go ghost hunting in a graveyard, or turn my own garage into a haunted house, the world is my big sober oyster. And since I’m not as focused on getting drugs or booze, I have more interest in stuff happening around me.
6. Waking up and running for the toilet first thing on November 1st, since my body feels like it’s Saturday night, but it’s actually Wednesday morning.
When I’m not drinking or using, I can say goodbye to hangovers!
If you’re thinking of quitting long term or just considering laying off the booze or drugs for one night, there are perks to be had. Forget FOMO, welcome to YWMI (you won’t miss it!).