If you’re stuck at home because of COVID-19, we’ve pulled together some free and enjoyable activities to keep you entertained and occupied.
The current coronavirus outbreak has us all stuck at home, wondering what to do next. For many of us in recovery, idle time is uncomfortable and we associate social distancing with isolation. Luckily, the internet is an amazing source of entertainment that can keep your mind stimulated and your need for social interaction satiated. If you’re stuck at home because of COVID-19, we’ve pulled together some mostly free and enjoyable recovery and more general activities to keep you entertained and occupied.
Online Recovery Meetings
Joining an online recovery meeting is a great way to feel connected in times of stress and not let your recovery program slip.
Nationwide organization offering free mutual-aid format support for people who struggle with all types of addictive behaviors
Directory of Alcoholics Anonymous meetings you can join by phone or online meeting link.
Offering support for loved ones of those struggling with alcohol.
Recovery Dharma uses Buddhist principles and practices to heal the suffering of addiction.
Another Buddhist-recovery organization.
Other Online Sources of Recovery Inspiration
An online collection of 12-step recovery speakers.
There is a whole world of recovery podcasts out there — here are a few to check out.
Many bloggers write regularly on their own recovery experience, here are a few of our favorites.
Other Interesting Stuff Streaming Online
The Mega-List of Things to Do at When Stuck at Home
Reddit user u/camp-void has built out a list of over 70 ideas of things to do when you’re stuck at home and need to decompress. The post now has a Google Doc which is expanding.
Ways To Hang Out With Friends (But Not In Person)
- How to watch movies with friends online
- r/LongDistance‘s List of Things To Do Together Over The Internet!
- 130+ things to do together online
- The best games to play with friends for iOS and Android in 2019
- The best co-op PC games 2020 (pricier, but an asked-for addition!)
- How to play D&D with friends online
- 5 Ways to Play Board Games Online With Friends
- 8 Creative Ways To “Hang Out” With Far-Away Friends
- Best free Steam games
- Best free PC games
- Best free Mac games
- Best free Android games
- Best free ios games
- Free demos on Steam
- Free Microsoft games demos
- How to emulate Pokemon on Android
- How to emulate Pokemon on ios
Things to Watch
- Free streaming service trials (pt 1)
- Free streaming service trials (pt 2)
- A rec list of TV shows on Twitter
- What the hell should I watch on Netflix? (may be location-specific, unsure)
- Which TV Show Should I Binge Watch Next?
Things to Read
- What should I read next?
- Recommend me a book (with excerpts)
- 60,00 free books on Project Gutenberg
- u/Chtorrr‘s 27(!) collections of free ebooks from Project Gutenberg
- 15 free book sources
- Your local library’s online lending program
- r/FreeEBOOKS (thanks again for the suggestion u/Chtorrr!)
Things to Listen To
- How to find new music you’ll like
- 53 best podcasts of 2020 (so far)
- 10 best non-fiction podcasts
- 10 best fiction podcasts
- 11 places to find free audiobooks
- 50 free classic audiobooks
- 50 more free classic audiobooks
Cute and Fluffy
- EarthCam – Animal Cams
- San Diego Zoo – Live Cams
- Birdfeeder cams
- 22 animal Instagram accounts
- 10 animal Twitter accounts
- The Onion
- 15 funniest websites
- Best comedy podcasts
- Funniest TV shows of 2019
- 25 “funniest movies of all time”
- 20 greatest stand-ups of “all time”
- Best meditation/mindfulness apps
- Calming games
- Free trials of Headspace (14 days) and Calm (7 days)
- The Quiet Place Project
- Xhaler breathing exercises
- GoZen (stress relief)
- 15 Mindfulness and Relaxation Apps for Kids with Anxiety
- Free educational apps for kids
- Free online educational game sites
- Easy, 10-Minute Crafts for Kids
Crowdsourcing (thanks to u/Veekhr for these!)